Saturday, September 22, 2012
Monday, September 3, 2012
Pregnant teen jailed for attack on Opals player
A pregnant teenager who attacked Opals basketball player Rachel Jarry has been sentenced to three years in youth detention.
Jessica Croucher, 18, from Brunswick, pleaded guilty to seven charges resulting from a series of attacks against six people in January.
Her baby is due in November.
Rachel Jarry was punched and kicked to the ground during a bashing that lasted 90 seconds in Melbourne's CBD.
Her friend, Megan Hustwaite, suffered a fractured nose and black eye in the attack.
Outside court, Ms Hustwaite said her friend was lucky not to be seriously hurt.
"I'm really glad that she didn't have anything to her knees or her legs," she said.
"I was thinking that at the time, because it would just be horrific when you're trying to make an Olympic campaign to be sidelined because of something so awful as this."
Jarry, 20, is currently in London with the Opals basketball team.
Tags: law-crime-and-justice, courts-and-trials, basketball, assault, melbourne-3000 First posted August 03, 2012 11:05:45Friday, April 27, 2012
Woman pleads guilty to robbing basketball player
A Melbourne woman has pleaded guilty to robbing Olympic basketball team member, Rachel Jarry, and three other people in January.
Rachel Jarry was walking to her car with a friend when they were approached by five young people who demanded the pair hand over their belongings.
Jessica Croucher, 18, pleaded guilty to the robbery.
Croucher also pleaded guilty to two other charges of robbery and two of assault, in relation to offences against other people on the same night.
The charges of assault against Jarry and her friend were dropped.
Croucher has been released on bail and will face the Victorian County Court again in July.
Tags: courts-and-trials, crime, olympics-summer, basketball, melbourne-3000 First posted April 18, 2012 13:17:25Monday, January 23, 2012
Monday, January 9, 2012
Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Wednesday, November 30, 2011
Ex-NBA player faces murder charge
Recent NBA player Javaris Crittenton has been charged with murder in connection with the shooting death of a 22-year-old woman in Atlanta, police said Friday.
Crittenton, 23, who was once suspended by the NBA in connection with guns in a locker room, is wanted in connection with the death of Jullian Jones last Friday in Atlanta, where Crittenton was a collegiate standout at Georgia Tech.
Atlanta Police spokesman Carlos Campos said a murder warrant has been issued for the arrest of Crittenton while the Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper reported that Crittenton is believed to be in the Los Angeles area.
Jones was shot by someone in a dark-coloured utility vehicle while walking in a group last week, police said, adding that they do not believe she was the intended target.
Campos said the motive for the shooting was related to an April robbery in which Crittenton was a victim.
Crittenton did not play last season in the NBA because of an ankle injury.
He last played for the Washington Wizards in the 2009-2010 season but was involved in a locker room altercation with then-Wizard Gilbert Arenas involving guns.
The NBA suspended Crittenton for 38 games after he and Arenas admitted to bringing guns into the team's locker room, a violation of law in the US capital.
Crittenton pleaded guilty to a misdemeanour gun charge in January of last year and received probation from a court, but he was not re-signed by the Wizards.
Charlotte had signed Crittenton ahead of last season but he was released before the season began.
Crittenton has averaged 5.3 points and 1.8 assists in 113 NBA games in a career that began in 2007 when he was selected 19th overall by the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Draft.
He went to Memphis in a trade deal that brought Pau Gasol to the Lakers and was later sent from the Grizzlies to Washington.
AFP
Tags: basketball, sport, united-states First posted August 27, 2011 17:40:01