Friday, May 20, 2011

Former Snake Dillon returns home

"I adapted well," he says affably. "I just loved the atmosphere and the scenery up in Cairns. It got pretty hot at times, even with the rain and the cyclones, I experienced a lot."

When he wasn't avoiding the force of Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Dillon was cementing himself as a standout pro in the NBL, landing a starting role in a competitive Taipans backcourt.

The combo guard topped it off with 21 points in an upset victory over the Townsville Crocodiles in the semi finals and endeared himself to fans with his aggressive and often acrobatic drives to the hoop.

But after initially agreeing to terms to stay at the Taipans, Dillon signed a three-year deal with his hometown team, the Melbourne Tigers, something he says wasn't an easy decision.

"Melbourne pretty much just put an offer to me I couldn't refuse," he says. "I had a chance to be with my family, in my home city and play on a team that's well respected."

"It wasn't easy. I was in Cairns for the whole year. It felt like my home. I met a lot of people while I was there, a lot of true fans and people I'll keep in contact with for the rest of my life anyway.

"It took me over a week to decide and even when I made the decision I wasn't too sure if it was the right one or the wrong one. I feel like I made the right decision for myself but I know that I let down a lot of people who are Cairns supporters and were expecting the same group to come back.

"I apologise to those people but hopefully I'm in a good space for right now and we can compete."


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment