Monday, September 3, 2012

Cambage dunk helps Opals slam Russia

Updated August 04, 2012 11:34:42

Liz Cambage has inspired the Opals to another win at the London Olympics, edging Russia in a hard-fought game 70-66.

The 203cm star top-scored with 17 points, including a rare dunk, as Australia improved its record to three wins from four games in Group B.

Cambage was ably supported by Suzy Batkovic who bagged 15 points as the Opals held onto a narrow lead for most of the game.

Australia threatened to pull clear in the final quarter, however Russia clawed their way back and at one stage got within two points.

But Cambage's dunk was all the talk after the game. She described it as an "out-of-body experience".

"It's good to finally just do it and get everyone off my back," she said.

"It was kind of like I had an out-of-body experience. I never do it in practice, I'm a bit shy about doing it, and it's the first time I've ever done it in a game.

"After I did it I tried to stay focused because everyone was joking on me."

Opals skipper Lauren Jackson was in awe of Cambage's effort.

"I have never seen one dunk in a game before," Jackson said.

"I was on the bench and I just couldn't believe it. It was different to Lisa Leslie (American who dunked the ball in a WNBA game), because that one was almost a lay-up.

"This one was much more a dunk."

Jackson was particularly happy with the Opals' victory as pressure builds for places heading into the play-offs.

"We won a tough game, which became more important because we did it after losing a tough game," Jackson said.

Meanwhile, the Czech Republic made a perfect start but the US enjoyed the happier ending as it extended its Olympic winning streak to 37 games with a 88-61 victory in Group A action.

The Czechs scored the first 10 points of the game and continued to rain down three-pointers for the rest of the first quarter before the US ratcheted up their defensive pressure to take control of the contest.

Diana Taurasi led the US with 18 points and Tina Charles scored 16.

Maya Moore added 14 and was a catalyst in the team's defensive turnaround.

"That's my job. When I get into the game, I want to create chaos for the other team as well as I can," Taurasi said.

The US will finish preliminary round action against China before lining up for a quarter-final next week in the pursuit of a fifth straight Olympic title.

ABC/Reuters

Tags: sport, basketball, olympics-summer, australia

First posted August 03, 2012 22:21:26


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment